Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Youngstar rating


I received the results of my Youngstar assessment and my daycare has been rated at 3 stars.  I actually received enough points (24 out of 40) to qualify for a 4 star rating, but because I've been open for less than a year, the highest rating I could get was only 3 stars.

If you haven't already heard about Youngstar, it is the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families 5 star daycare quality rating system.  You can find out more by going to their website at:  http://dcf.wisconsin.gov/youngstar/ .

I've heard that most family daycare providers just accept the automatic 2 star rating that they are given, but I knew I could do better than that.  I'm glad that I opted for the informal assessment and coaching.  Next year I plan on going for a 5 star rating with a formal assessment and because of the help I received this year, I know exactly what I will have to do to get the highest rating.

Also worthwhile was the $500 Youngstar grant that I received.   With it, my daycare got a new toddler height table that seats 6, a toddler sized sofa, a shatterproof mirror, and 6 chairs of varying of heights specifically for toddlers.  My daycare kids love the new furniture!

No comments:

Post a Comment