Thursday, September 13, 2012

Week in review

Since I was getting tired of the multiple outfit changes each day that accompanied water table play, I decided to shell out the money and buy 50 lbs. of Sandtastik playsand.  To me and my wallet, that sounded like a lot of sand, but as it turned out, it wasn't enough to fill a sandbox.  It was enough to fill a plastic storage bin though.

I thought that the kids would kneel next to the bin and play in the sand, but the first thing all the little ones did was climb into the bin and sit in the sand.  Oh well!  The other thing that I didn't foresee was that the sand would not stay in the box.  This has been driving me crazy because in my mind every bit of sand that is lost is like money that is lost.  But I know I've got to get over it and stop thinking that way.

Why did I buy such expensive playsand?  It's because I found out that the normal playsand that you buy at a hardware store contains crystalline silica and asbestos tremolite which are know to cause lung disease, cancer, and cause reproductive harm.  You can read more about it at Safe Mama.  Better to be safe than sorry.

Other new things include finally getting a stroller and remembering about this play tent that had been sitting in the closet for the last few months.  With the stroller we've begun taking walks in the neighborhood.  The tent I thought of one afternoon when S was cranky from teething.  I was hoping it would distract her for a bit and it did the trick.  She just liked to sit in it and look at the colors.  We also played peek-a-boo with the door to the tent.

L likes to hide out in the tent.  He plays in it with toys, pretends that he's a baby bear and that it's his cave, and also uses it when he wants to have a pout.

We also played with play-doh, painted with watercolor paints, named the animals on some animal flash cards, and we read a lot of books this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment